October 20, 2011

The Fastest Beef Stroganoff

I admit, beef stroganoff is not one of my favorite dishes on earth but every once in a great while, it sounds delicious. The recipe I've used for years takes a couple hours and even then, is tricky to get get to reduce so often you are left with beef stroganoff inspired soup. I saw this recipe in my Our Best Bites Cookbook and was surprised how quick the instructions made it sound. I gave it a shot and had dinner done (start to finish) in less than a half hour. Seriously. My husband ate it up and said it was better than my stand by recipe! This one's a keeper for sure.

Ingredients:
1 pound top sirloin steak (I buy the thin-cut, it saves work)
salt and pepper
3/4 cup diced onion (about one small onion)
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
4 cloves minced garlic
3 tbsp. butter (divided)
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. beef boullion (1 cube)
2 tsp. worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
Slice steak into strips that are approx. 2" long and 1/4" thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
Melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat in a large skillet and saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic for 4-5 minutes until the onions are soft and transparent. Empty out of the skillet onto a plate and set aside. Melt the remaining tbsp. butter in the skillet and cook the beef for about 5 minutes until it's no longer pink. While the meat is cooking, whisk together the water, boullion, worchestershire sauce and flour. Pour into the cooked beef and add the onion/mushroom mixture back in. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Serve over egg noodles or rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment